Old Jewish cemetery in Wandsbek and memorial stone for Rabbi Simon Bamberger
The Jewish cemetery on Königsreihe existed from 1637 to 1884 and was one of the smallest Jewish cemeteries in the Hamburg region. The government of Schleswig-Holstein closed the cemetery in 1884 because it was full. Around 1,200 burials had taken place by then.
During the Nazi regime, the cemetery was desecrated multiple times, and the Jewish community was forced to sell it in 1942. The cemetery was further damaged by bombs, and wood and stones were stolen from it to be used for heating and construction. The cemetery was not classified as a historical monument until 1960. Around 850 gravestones still exist today.
A memorial stone commemorates the last rabbi in Wandsbek, Dr Simon Bamberger (1872–1961), who took the position in Wandsbek in 1902. Bamberger was highly esteemed by representatives of the Christian religions as well as local dignitaries and citizens of Wandsbek. Nonetheless, he was subjected to antisemitic abuse and restrictions as early as 1930. On 10 October 1938, he led the last service in the Wandsbek Synagogue. In early 1939 he and his wife were able to escape to Palestine. A memorial stone on Dotzauer Weg commemorates the former Wandsbek Synagogue.