Monument commemorating forced labour in Bergedorf
The concrete stele designed by the artist Jan de Weryha (born 1950) was dedicated on 21 September 2012. It is located on the former site of a rattan factory, which was one of the largest companies in Bergedorf during the war. Thousands of forced labourers, prisoners of war and inmates from the nearby Neuengamme concentration camp, including children, were put to work under the Nazi dictatorship to ensure wartime production. Nearly all companies in Bergedorf profited from the use of forced labourers, who were housed in inhumane conditions.
Andrea Schlicht, c/o Unser Haus e.V.