Ohlsdorf Cemetery - Burial ground for foreign victims of the Nazis
The Ohlsdorf Cemetery opened on 1 July 1877 and is now the largest garden cemetery in the world. It has several burial grounds and monuments for victims of National Socialism. There are special plots for members of the resistance, victims of the bombings, Soviet prisoners of war, Dutch, British and Polish victims, and many others.
Concentration camp prisoners and forced labourers
At least 3,500 victims from 28 different countries are buried on the outer edge of the cemetery. They were prisoners and forced labourers who died in various concentration camps, POW camps and labour camps, were executed in prison, or fell victim to other murder campaigns. From January to 4 May 1945 alone, 715 identified prisoners from the satellite camps of the Neuengamme concentration camp in Hamburg were buried here. In 1977, the cemetery administration redesigned this area. The burial ground now has a memorial stone in the shape of a truncated pyramid with the names of some of the countries from which the prisoners came, as well as a wall with a relief sculpture designed by Herbert Glink.