Sites commemorating the Neugraben satellite camp
On 13 September 1944, a satellite camp of the Neuengamme concentration camp was established in Neugraben on Falkenbergsweg/Neugrabener Heideweg. The camp held 500 Jewish women from Czechoslovakia who had been deported via Theresienstadt to the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp, where the SS selected them to work in Hamburg. After arriving in Hamburg, they were initially held in the Dessauer Ufer satellite camp in the port area. They were forced to carry out hard labour for various companies, including Prien, Weseloh, Gizzi, Holst and Malo. The prisoners produced prefabricated components and constructed makeshift housing in the Falkenbergsiedlung estate. They also carried out clearance work for the petroleum industry in Harburg and had to dig an anti-tank ditch in Hausbruch. In February 1945, the SS transferred the women to the Hamburg-Tiefstack satellite camp.
In 1985, a granite boulder with a plaque was unveiled on the site of the former satellite camp. The plaque was repeatedly vandalised and had to be replaced several times. Eventually the stone was left in its damaged state as a document of the times. The Harburg district assembly and the Hamburg Cultural Authority then decided to place a bronze plaque in a busier location in the centre of Neugraben. It was dedicated on 15 April 1992.
The site of the former camp on Falkenbergsweg was incorporated into a nature reserve in 1990 and now lies on a hiking trail. A donation by a resident of Fischbek made it possible to inscribe the granite memorial stone again in 2005.
On the initiative of students from the Süderelbe Secondary School, an information panel and memorial column were erected in 2020 at the bus stop near the former Neugraben satellite camp.
Informationen zum KZ-Außenlager Neugraben