Memorial stone for the victims of the Langenhorn satellite camp
The Langenhorn satellite camp of Neuengamme concentration camp was located on Essener Strasse. It held female prisoners. On 1 September 1988, a memorial stone was placed to commemorate their suffering. A plaque was added in the same year by the Hamburg Cultural Authority as part of its ‘black plaque programme’. Since 27 June 2018 49 Stolpersteine (stumbling stones) commemorate to murdered children of forced laboureres who were detained in the nearby camp 'Tannenkoppel'.
Langenhorn satellite camp
On 12 September 1944, 500 female concentration camp prisoners were brought to this satellite camp, which had formerly been a camp for ‘Eastern workers’. The young women had been choosen for working use in Stutthof concentration camp. They included a large group of Jewish women and girls from Lithuania and Estonia. Another 250 women arrived in March 1945 from the Ravensbrück concentration camp, including Sinti and Roma women referred to as ‘Gypsies’. Many of the prisoners were put to work making cartridge shells in the Hanseatisches Kettenwerk factory. Others were forced to carry out excavation work for the construction of prefabricated buildings used as provisional housing. Prisoners from the satellite camp additionally worked in armaments production in a branch of the Deutsche Messapparate factory on Schanzenstrasse. These women were taken to their place of work each day by suburban rail.
Initiative for a memorial
Karl-Heinz Zietlow, son of a Neuengamme prisoner, researched in the 1980s to the history of the satellite camp and made contact with former prisoners. In the creation of the private memorial site were initiatives and organisations as well as the Hamburg Cultural Authority involved.
Kirchengemeinde St. Jürgen-Zachäus