Memorial stone and bronze plaque for victims of the Eidelstedt satellite camp
In February 1978, a Working Group against Neo-fascism was founded in the Emmaus parish of Hamburg-Lurup. The purpose of this initiative was to ‘educate people about the goals, crimes and delusion of the National Socialist movement’. To this end, a memorial stone for the victims of National Socialism was erected in the parish grounds in 1979. A bronze plaque commemorating the Eidelstedt satellite camp of Neuengamme concentration camp was added later.
The Eidelstedt satellite camp was established in September 1944 in an existing camp of huts on Friedrichshulder Weg. 500 Jewish women from Hungary and Czechoslovakia were imprisoned here and forced to carry out clearance and construction work. They also had to erect provisional, pre-fabricated houses near the camp.
A memorial stone was placed in the grounds of the former camp in 1985 on the initiative of the Geschwister-Scholl-Gesamtschule (a comprehensive school), and a plaque was installed by the Hamburg Cultural Authority as part of its ‘black plaque’ programme.