Memorial plaque for the Lederstrasse forced labour camp
On 23 September 2009, a plaque was placed in the Stellingen suburban railway station on Lederstrasse in memory of the forced labour camp once located there. From 1942 to 1945, 2,000 foreign forced labourers had to live here and work under terrible conditions for the armaments industry and construction firms, among other companies. Most of the labourers came from Eastern Europe. In 1943, the camp was destroyed in Allied air raids and had to be rebuilt by the prisoners.
The initiative for the plaque came from the Geschichtswerkstatt Lurup (a local history association), and the Stellingen local administrative committee unanimously declared their support.
Behind the pedestrian tunnel to Lederstraße, near the motorway bridge, there is also a floor plaque with a reference to the forced labour camp. The floor plaque marks the location of the camp's former entrance area.