Memorial to the former Harburg Synagogue
The Jewish community in Harburg/Wilhelmsburg established a cemetery in 1690 and a synagogue in 1862. But life changed abruptly for the Jews of Harburg under the Nazi regime. Repressive measures prompted many of them to emigrate, and by 1936 there were no longer enough congregation members to attend services in the Harburg Synagogue.
Though the synagogue was initially spared in the pogroms of 9 November 1938, SA members destroyed its interior and front doors one night later. The building was torn down in 1941 and the grounds were sold to an automotive workshop.
After the war, residential buildings were constructed on the site. In memory of the synagogue, a reconstruction of the gateway to the building was erected in 1988 on the façade of one of the new blocks of flats. Two memorial plaques recount the history of the synagogue.