Stele with plaque at the former New Dammtor Synagogue
In coordination with the Hamburg Cultural Authority and the Jewish community of Hamburg, a stele with a plaque was installed on 9 November 1995 on the site of the former New Dammtor Synagogue. The stele was originally supposed to recreate the entire façade of the synagogue, but it was not possible to implement this design. The plaque on the monument explains the history of the synagogue.
The synagogue was built in the Oriental style and opened in 1895. It was damaged during the pogroms of 9 November 1938, but the fabric of the building remained intact. The synagogue was restored and served as Hamburg’s only large synagogue from the spring of 1939 to 1943. Hamburg’s few remaining Jews were able to worship here. In 1943, the building was seized by the Nazis and used as a storage space for the Gestapo. The former synagogue was entirely destroyed by bombs on 27 July 1943.