Memorial plaque at the former Tiefstack satellite camp
The street now known as Andreas-Meyer-Straße runs along the Moorfleet Canal and connects to an outlying part of the Billbrook industrial estate. Some brick walls and gate pillars from the (pre-)war period can still be seen at the entrances to the properties along the street. During the war, forced labourers were housed on the premises of two companies. The area has been redeveloped many times since then, and there are now offices and small businesses here. A plaque was installed in 2016 by the Hamburg Cultural Authority as part of its ‘Sites of Persecution and Resistance 1933–1945’ programme (known as the ‘black plaque programme’). The text on the plaque reads:
‘A Neuengamme satellite camp was located here, by the canal, from 8 February 1945. The camp was built on land owned by two companies: the Diago wood processing company and the Tiefstack cement works.
Around 500 Jewish women from Czechoslovakia were held here and had to produce concrete slabs for provisional housing, work on clearance detail after air raids and dig anti-tank trenches.
During an air raid on 20 March 1945, most of the camp was destroyed. Some of the prisoners were killed. The SS took the survivors to Bergen-Belsen.’